This village is located 583 meters above sea level, on a huge rocky boulder. It is accessed by a single road cut into the rock.
On the highest point rises the impregnable Fort, remodeled by Francesco di Giorgio Martini in the fifteenth century, by order of Federico III from Montefeltro. Converted into prison during papal rule, the Conte di Cagliostro (died here in 1795) and Felice Orsini (1844) were imprisoned there.
The city was the capital of the county of Montefeltro and theater of civil and military battles for about two millennia, assuming with Berengario II the title of Capital of ltaly (962-964).
The city hosted Dante and St. Francis of Assisi, who received the Monte della Verna as a gift from Count Orlando di Chiusi (1213).
Architectural heritage includes:
the pre-Romanesque Pieve, the Lombard Romanesque cathedral of the century Xll, the Fort; The Museum of Sacred Art is scattered on the municipal territory, the ruins of several castles (Pietracuta, Piega), the Franciscan convent of St. Igne, the Dominican convent of Monte di Pietracuta, the church of Montemaggio.
The panorama that is enjoyed from San Leo is one of the most beautiful and characteristic of the Region and reaches the sea.
- la Corte
- Belvedere (pizza)
- la Casina a Pugliano